Hey, it’s HighScalability time:
Unfortunately with Delicious still down access to all my lovingly curated links is out. But the show must go on…
- Quotable Quotes:
- @muratdemirbas: In the cloudcomputing webservices domain antifragility= elastic scalability + network effect
- @SQLPerfTips: More hardware won’t solve response time problems. Proper indexing does.
- Stefan Boberg: The fastest I/O request is the one you dont’!
- Alan Kay: The key in making great and growable systems is much more to design how its modules communicate rather than what their internal properties and behaviors should be.
- antirez: One thing, more than everything else, keeps me focused while programming: never interrupt the flow.
- The NPR apps team shows How to build a news app that never goes down and costs you practically nothing. Two servers provide high reliability at very little cost. Even on election night only one server was required. They use Flask, Jinja, LESS, JST, Bootstrap, Fab, git, Python, Node.js, and S3 to serve static content. Excellent description of their low cost, low overhead process.
- Spotify sings In praise of “boring” technology: More often than not, the right tool for the job is piece of software that has been around for some time, with proven success. One example would be writing a backend service in Java or Python instead of Go or Node.JS. Another example would be storing data in MySQL or PostgreSQL instead of MongoDB or Riak. < They are looking into Zookeeper to replace DNS for more dynamic configuration and Cassandra to handle distributed writes.
Don’t miss all that the Internet has to say on Scalability, click below and become eventually consistent with all scalability knowledge…
via High Scalability http://highscalability.com/blog/2013/3/1/stuff-the-internet-says-on-scalability-for-february-29-2013.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HighScalability+%28High+Scalability%29